Someone just asked me the other day, “Why Shakeology?”
Needless to say, there are DOZENS of products that fall under the “protein shake/meal replacement” category; so much, in fact, that I was pretty skeptical myself.
I did the SlimFast thing in high school. I’ve choked down horrible protein shakes on various fasts and diets. Plus, I am constantly reading on the benefits of healthy, natural, organic, unprocessed diets – so why on earth would I drink something that surely is just another marketing ploy fad? Well, I tried it because….
1. There were no ingredients I could really find fault with. No artificial sweeteners or flavors, no preservatives, no artificial colorings (which I even found in my generic prenatal vitamins – yuck!). While they can’t technically be marketed as “organic”, this company seems to be dedicated to finding (and testing for) the best non-pesticide ridden, non-GMO ingredients they can. (Watch this video to understand the red tape that comes behind organic labeling.)
2. On the other side, there were lots of ingredients that I COULD get on board with, including pomegranate, acai, ashwagandha, ginkgo, probiotics, spinach, kale, chia, flax, and quinoa. In fact, I counted 40 “superfood” ingredients, many of which I already try to incorporate into my regular diet. (View the ingredients here.)
3. It’s more than just a “protein shake”. Yes, a selling-factor is that is does contain a lot of protein. This not only helps sate your appetite but also helps to support muscle tone if you are also incorporating an exercise program. Since I’m not a huge meat-eater, finding sources of protein for me can be hard at times. But besides protein, all the superfood ingredients mean that this shake also has tons of antioxidants (fruit) and phyto-nutrients (greens), yet can also help with stress and immunity issues (with adaptogens such as ashwagandha – which is a root my husband was previously taking for adrenal support) and digestive issues (with ingredients like the probiotics!). Frankly, I haven’t found another product that can do all of those things. Pretty much, this is a whole-food vitamin in meal form.
4. It actually tasted good. Okay, so SlimFast I could do – but because it was loaded with lots of junk to make it taste good! Most protein shakes, I could NOT do; seriously, I would gag and spit them out. I don’t know how they do it, but these shakes actually are enjoyable. The Chocolate flavor I could probably drink alone with milk, yet I tend to just add a scoop to my afternoon smoothies anyway. Every day is a different recipe with fruits, coffee, yogurt – you name it! No matter how “good” something is for you, if it tastes like crap.. most likely, you won’t use it. (Which is why we have have a tincture of licorice root just sitting in our cupboard for three years!)
5. There was a money-back guarantee. I won’t lie – I’m cheap. Frugal. Whatever term you want to use. I have to be. Groceries are a big priority for us, so I budget probably more than the normal family so that we can buy good, unprocessed, organic food (which means we “miss out” on some “modern conveniences” such as wi-fi, cable, and fancy new cars and clothes.. which is totally okay with us!). Even after reading through the ingredients and trying a sample, I was somewhat unconvinced. “Is this worth it?” kept playing over and over in my head. It wasn’t until my husband gave me the green light to try it that I decided to give it a go. After all, there was a 30day “bottom of the bag” guarantee, which meant that I could drink it for an entire month and then, if I decided it wasn’t worth it, get all of my money back. Honestly, you just don’t find many products anymore that are that risk-free.
6. They don’t claim it as a miracle fix. Most supplement products out there claim “drink this!” or “take this!” and you can lose an obscene amount of weight and all your troubles will be over. Yes, the ingredients help to fill in your nutritional gaps and the shakes can help support you with any issues you may currently be having – but it’s not an easy way out. This company encourages healthy eating and daily fitness, which I LOVE! I’ve stumbled across the health trifecta: nutrition, fitness, and emotional support. What other company does that?
7. It works. This was the deciding factor. After ONE DAY of drinking Shakeology, my energy peaked. Before, I was waking up drowsy, napping in the afternoon with my toddler, and in bed by 8:00pm. Now, I am waking up refreshed, have given up my naps, and am staying up usually until 10:30 or 11:00 at night. Other parents can agree those couple of hours after the baby goes to bed are EXTREMELY helpful in household and chore productivity! My cravings have gone down tremendously (shove it, Oreos!), my dragging-butt-coffee-trips have ended, and my digestive system is much happier (bye-bye, gas and bloat!).
By now, I should hope you all know me pretty well. I don’t talk about the popular things. In fact, most of the things I feel driven to talk about are the controversial things which subject me to trolls and haters and debates. A natural lifestyle isn’t popular by any means, especially in our modern-day world where it’s always “rush rush rush” and we trust the TV to tell us everything we need to know. So I wouldn’t be up here now, wasting the precious few hours I get a week, to talk about something I didn’t truly, 100% believe in. My goal is now as it was when I started my business years ago: to help others. I just so happened to find a product and a company that I can really get behind – and that’s pretty awesome.